- Social media marketing (SMM) is a form of Internet marketing that utilizes social networking websites as a marketing tool.
- The goal of SMM is to produce content that users will share with their social network to help a company increase brand exposure and broaden customer reach.
- One of the key components of SMM is social media optimization (SMO).
- Like search engine optimization (SEO), SMO is a strategy for drawing new and unique visitors to a website.
- SMO can be done two ways:
– adding social media links to content, such as RSS feeds and sharing buttons
– promoting activity through social media by updating statuses or tweets, or blog posts.
- SMM helps a company get direct feedback from customers, the interactive parts of social media give customers the opportunity to ask questions or voice complaints and feel they are being heard. This aspect of SMM is called social customer relationship management(Social CRM)
- SMM became more common with the increased popularity of websites such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.