- Meta descriptions are HTML attributes that provide concise explanations of the contents of web pages.
- Meta descriptions are commonly used on search engine result pages (SERPs) to display preview snippets for a given page.
- Code Sample
<meta name=”description” content=”This is an example of a meta description. This will often show up in search results.”>
- Meta description tags, while not important to search engine rankings, are extremely important in gaining user click-through from SERPs
- These short paragraphs are a webmaster’s opportunity to advertise content to searchers and to let them know exactly whether the given page contains the information they’re looking for.
- The meta description should employ the keywords intelligently, but also create a compelling description that a searcher will want to click.
Direct relevance to the page and uniqueness between each page’s meta description is key. The description should optimally be between 150-160 characters.